Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Scott: Spring Training

So here we are on the eve of May, and Matt and I depart for Vancouver in a month and a half, picking up the rest of the fellows along our way. Because of weather, we've not been training the way we should, but tomorrow was going to be the day we turn over a new leaf. This brings me to the biggest mistake I've made in the last ten years. I would say "the biggest mistake I've made in the last twenty years," however, there was only one mistake that both surpassed and preceded this one. The tooth massacre of '92 which took place on a two person swing set at the Seale residence. I am still reminded of that one every night, as I place my two retainers over my sets of less than crooked upper and lower teeth, respectively. There were a plethora of minor infractions between the two mistakes, but these two stand out in my mind, for they are the only ones which have little aftershocks time and time again.

Anyway, back to this past decade. Foolishly, I didn't take care of my allergies when I had the support of my parents, and now I'm doomed to have at least a week of allergy induced sickness one to two times a year. This is the point I'm at now. It's the point I've been at every spring and fall since the beginning of high school. I'm bed ridden when it is most vital to be out riding in the world, and I fear any form of extensive activity will prolong this illness sending me into a coughing fit and preventing me from doing even more training. Smells are more pungent and food tastes a little worse. Nothing seems to help. I've tried putting bags over my head, standing on my hands, and working longer hours at work.

Since I am extraordinarily stubborn/lazy/cheap when it comes to taking medication, these are my only possibilities for now. I only hope this illness subsides within the next week, and I am able to start riding again. Don't ask me what I have, as I would never think of seeing a doctor.
Things are coming together nicely, but if we are out of shape when it is time to begin our journey, all of this other work will have been in vain.

This infection isn't all bad. I believe the excessive coughing has burned unwanted calories and strengthened my core. Nothing else really matters.

-Scott

1 comment:

Heidi said...

We'll still support you when/if you need it! Sorry to hear you've been underweather. It's never too late to try to get those allergies under control. Don't want that cough turning into anything worse. Please see doctor if this drags on! obviously, your mom