Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Matt: Finally Training

So I haven't ridden hardly at all, due to unseasonably cold temperatures and far too much precipitation. The weather has finally come to be in our favor, with just over a month to train before Scott and I leave Eugene, OR. So far Scott and I have gotten up and on the road by 8 a.m. the past three mornings, and ridden at least 20 miles each day. Scott says he's in the worst shape he's been in since he got to Eugene, and I'm not doing too hot either.

The good news is this morning's ride was fairly easy at 25 miles and if I can continue to do this every morning it will be Stuart and Ryan that have to worry about keeping up, rather than me (which is more what I was expecting when picturing our trip). I feel sorry for the guys in Chicago having to ride through midwest suburbs and city streets. They don't know what they're missing. Every morning I get up and ride through evergreens and rolling hills, next to babbling creeks and rushing rivers, and all of it is covered in new growth and smells better than fresh laundry (which I think smells pretty damn good).

The trouble I find is in staying motivated to keep riding. Where in the case of our cross country trip we have a goal A to B, on training rides it's A to wherever to A again, and I can turn around anytime I want. It takes roughly two hours to go 30 miles, and I don't know how I'll stay interested enough to ride for, say, six hours when it's time to start doing 90 mile training rides. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get one of those carrot on a string set-ups going, but with a donut or peanut butter cup attached.

I have the next two days off and am thinking about attempting a ride to the coast to camp. Just want to make sure I can make it back in time for work on the third day. Scott's doing the same thing later in the week when he's off work. I may wait to see how he does, then decide to attempt it later. I also heard about a nude beach nearby that I may bike to tomorrow if it's sunny. A bunch of old gay guys hang out there, so it's not the fun you may be thinking, but I just want to see what it feels like to be outdoors with no clothes. It's so rare that you get to be naked in public anymore.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

So how was the overnight to the coast Scott speaks of in a later blog? Success? We wait with baited breath.

Biking The States said...

I'm afraid you may be right about the Stuart/Ryan comment... Biking The States is going to be completely different than city riding...

Ryan C. Kolegas