Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Scott: The First Bike Ride


So, I went on my first bike ride yesterday. A brisk, windy, twenty-four mile ride in the midst of a cold I'd acquired because of allergies. I got home to hack up a lung and incessantly blow my nose. Twenty-four tissues later (one for each mile) and I was almost back to normal. Was it the perfect bike ride? Yes.

The trip from Saline to Clinton and back was a reminder of how frail I am and why the winter is the bane of my existence. After not setting a foot on a bike for far too long, I have inner thighs that are no longer immune to chafing and a butt that hasn't built up a resistance to bruising quite yet. These are things I had taken for granted when we had three months of straight riding, but now I cannot imagine spending eight hours on a small bicycle seat a day.

One day it's warm. The next, cold. I can't wait for all the trees to have bloomed and 70 degree mornings - a day when I have my sexy legs and biker tan back. However, right now I feel I've become rather doughy. I no longer have the hard "overcooked cookies" body I once had, but I can't wait to get that back. You know, because when you cook that flabby dough for a long time, it becomes rock hard cookie. I'm going to cook my body in the oven of life as soon as the pollen has cleared. It brings tears to my eyes when I take it all in - but that may just be the various trees, grasses, and weeds.

I've started to finish the rundowns to the best of my recollection. Some details have been diluted and I look at some of the things I had written and wonder "What the hell was I talking about?" Other headlines bring back so many great memories. The rundowns at the end of the trip may have to be a collaboration with the other riders to fill in any blanks and get different perspectives through the big cities. (Some of the best "...and that's how Stu died." moments were in the last couple of days, as were some of the best fast food moments.)

Anyway, as far as the music is concerned. It's getting there. I wish I had more time to spend on it. Soon I'll have a cut of some scenes to compose to, and if I ever figure out a way to put samples of songs on this blog, I will. Until then. Enjoy life, and get out riding.

Scott

I'm going to try and write more too. Hopefully this won't be one of my empty promises. I plan on keeping it, but sometimes the inspiration just doesn't come.

No comments: