Thursday, May 15, 2008

Scott: I am a prisoner of my job.

Yesterday I went for a bike ride up McKenzie View road. I'd have to say it's the closest to paradise I think I've been. Some people like the beaches along the coast or the big city life, but I felt like I could do this type of thing for the rest of my life. It wasn't so much the location, although that had a lot to do with it, but it was the culmination of many things. I'm sad to say I've probably wasted the resources I've had here in Eugene for too many months. Although nothing would've been as sweet without this perfect spring weather.

There's something wonderful about riding on a newly paved road. Every revolution of the leg seems effortless, and you really get a sense of the efficiency the bicycle has. I rode close to the sunset. Hills were to the left of me and the river to the right. A nice breeze guided me along the entirety of the ride. Riding through the protection of the trees, I felt oxygen flowing through my body, and an overwhelming feeling of joy. I was content. This was the prelude to my summer.

As I pedaled the short two hour ride I began to think of the upcoming days. Tomorrow I was going to ride out to the coast to have my first sleep over with nature. I've had slumber parties with nature before, but not a one on one sleep over, and not after an eighty mile bike ride. This may have been my only chance to accomplish something like this before the whole BTS crew is together. The day after that I would meander my way back to Eugene, ready to shower and take a much needed nap.

Last night I was getting ready to go to bed so I could get up early in the morning and set off to the Oregon coast when I heard the hopeful ding of my MacBook. If this had taken place a few years earlier I would've risen to the voice of the computer. "You've got mail." But here in the future I rose to something much more subtle. I looked at the computer screen hoping for a message from one of my comrades - something to improve my social standing or my relationships with cross country friends. Instead I found a message from the manager at LaVelle. "We found a band for music on the patio and are extremely understaffed. Would you mind working Friday and/or Saturday night?"

Kind of. Kind of was the answer I was looking for. But alas I cannot say no, so I responded, "That's fine. I will work Friday and Saturday night." I was supposed to ride to the coast in the next couple of days. This was my chance to kick my ass into shape.

I love work and I love the people I work with, but I'm getting to the point where that is the last thing I want to think about. However money is money, and there will be life after biking so I have to prepare.


So rather than riding to the coast today, I am sitting in front of the computer thinking about riding to the coast. You know what happens while I'm doing this? I get a call from my second job at Johnny Ocean's Grille. "Scott, would you like to work tonight? I decided it's only fair." I say okay, and within a few hours, my four day weekend turns into a one day weekend. This is unfortunately added on to the fact that my four day Memorial day weekend was reduced to four days of Memorial day work.

There's a time and a place to have the experience of a lifetime, and though I will not be able to take the solo trips I so desperately wanted, I figure I have a summer off when other people don't. I have one job in my life, and that's to make other people's lives easier. If I can work now so other people can enjoy the time they have off then I will do that, but come June 14th I am done. No more jobs, no more worries, and best of all no more dishes. I can't wait to get out of here and really begin life's journey.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

But you've got to hand it to yourself for being such a hardworking loyal employee. Not easy to come by in this day and age and in your current line of work. It is nice to know you're moving on, however.