Friday, July 4, 2008

Scott: Showers...or lack there of.

It's been six days now. Six days without a shower, and we are in need of them. This wouldn't be all that bad in the “real world.” In the “real world,” when you spend your summer afternoons on the couch watching t.v., you can go months without a shower and years without washing your clothes. I know. I've done it. Here, on the open road, it is a different story. Stuart Seale of the Seale family in Downers Grove, Illinois believes that this is the humans' natural state. We don't need showers. Our four fathers didn't have showers, and neither did the cave people they came from. The rest of us disagree. Matt was actually willing to spend money to take a shower yesterday, and that's where my frustration comes.

We've stayed at quite a few campsites here in Washington, and all of the campsites we stayed at have had shower access. One problem. They want you to pay for hot water. Well I for one, refuse. I can get a cold shower by standing in the rain. Hot water should be included in the price of a campsite, and I would rather smell, and be sticky, and have dirt plastered to my legs than pay one quarter for 1.20 of hot water. What if there's a warm up period? What if 1.20 turns in to 0.20? What if I spend the extra 0.20 adjusting the water to be the perfect temperature? Bam! The water is cold again and I owe another quarter. It's not worth it. Hot water is a right. Not a privilege - and I want to exercise my rights as a human being.

Matt has reached his breaking point, but I believe the rest of us can stay strong. As long as we're brushing our teeth, we'll be okay. In the “real world,” when you spend your summer afternoons on the couch watching t.v., you can go months without brushing your teeth. I know. I've done it. But here on the open road, sometimes you just want to be clean.

4 comments:

inwildlight said...

Hey guys:
Just go jump into a river or lake. I works for me just fine. I often carry a soft scrubbing sponge. I works great to remove dead skin, dirt, scabs, and insect debris. You'll feel fresher, faster, and better able to endure the long miles each day. And it will enable you to meet more pretty women. Gosh I would love to be riding with you.

Your 7th grade science teacher.
Mr.Williams

Biking The States said...

I agree. As soon as we hit those 100 degree days, we'll be jumping in the lush flowing rivers we've been seeing all over. We would love it if you joined us for a spell. Chicago...late August.

Unknown said...

GUYS!!!!
Whats up Good, Scott, Andy, Stu, Ryan, Adam, and Mark/ I figured you would all like seeing your names. Anyway I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. I just watched the trailer you guys have up, it's very good. Well I wish you guys the best of luck and I'd tell you to enjoy yourselves, but I know you are. Hang in there and have fun.

The one and only,
Carl

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like the musk of a sweaty man to attract the attention of females! Keep it up! I propose a 'who can go the longest without a shower' contest, but then again I am not in a position where I must endure the smell of others.

Wishing everyone the best from SD and remember, "all of life is a foreign country." I love you for exploring that.


Much Love,
Nowicki