Saturday, June 28, 2008

Ryan: The Worst Bike Rider

So its official. I am the worst bike rider.

It started with the knee incident. Apparently my seat was too low, or I was standing too much, or a compilation of a bunch of things... All the same, I busted my knee and opened myself up for everyone to tell me how to ride a bike... best part is, I have to grit my teeth and listen, its the price I pay for being a terrible bike rider... So that was the first part.

On to following in a group... apparently I don't follow in the right spot, so when I'm behind Scott I get in his blind spot on accident, then he speeds up, then I try and keep pace (which is hilarious with a knee injury. Have you ever seen somebody limp while riding a bike? Its pretty hilarious), then everyone else is like "What the hell got into them?" MORAL: I Can't follow Scott anymore... When I lead, I always feel like I'm not going fast enough (probably because Scott is a machine and there's just no shaking him), so I end up going too quick (which is also bad for my knee)... MORAL: I can't lead.

Final funny story about poor bike riding... I had the first accident of the trip yesterday. We had just made it to Vancouver and were riding on a bike trail. Every time there was a driveway or something there'd be a four foot metal pool in the middle of the path... we were cruising, the order was Scott, Stu, Ryan, Andy, then Matt... Well, I don't really know how it happened, but all of a sudden there was a pole, I screamed a percussive two word curse starting with"Oh" and ending with "Quieting somebody before a pronoun"... I hit my left handlebar on the pole and went flying. All I could think was, "oh crap, I hope Andy can dodge my bike," I rolled once on the ground and bounced to my feet. I was completely fine, not a scratch physically, but boy was my pride bruised- MORAL: I Can't follow Stu... My placement in this line is becoming more strict every day.

I was gonna write a blog about the incredible hospitality of people in the Northwest, and about some awesome people we've met with some stellar stories, but I thought it was necessary to share the story of the worst Bike rider...

Ryan C. Kolegas

2 comments:

Rob said...

I'm tired of hearing this "I'm the worst bike rider" bullshit. It's un-American. No Kolegas is going to be the worst at anything, let alone bike riding. Now buck up and get your head right.

Also, I went to a comic book convention yesterday and it was awesome. Look at the pictures on facebook.

Unknown said...

I agree completely with Rob. Bicycling across the United States is what tiggers do best!

Godspeed, may the Force be with you, and happy adventuring!