Saturday, June 28, 2008

Scott: Raccoons

These aren't the run of the mill raccoons you all know and love from the suburbs. The ones that hide during the day and stay away from people at night. The ones that travel in packs so they can fake Willie out with one on the right while their brothers attack the Jeep from behind. These are the super raccoons – the fearless bastards who stare you right in the eye while they break into your food. Some may hate these raccoons, but I love them.

Ryan has heard stories of Raccoons from his sister, Stacy Kolegas. If you want cool raccoon stories feel free to contact her. Tell her Scott sent you. She'll know what that means.

My raccoon story isn't that interesting. I am more impressed with the all encompassing audacity these animals have. When I say bastards who stare you in the eye when they eat your food, I mean it. There was one little guy who was just looking at me. Three feet away, he was. I start yelling, knowing in the back of my mind that he was taught “people won't hurt you” from a very young age. I can see it now - These little raccoon mothers teaching their children the ways of Larrabee State Park, and how to work the “people” system. Indeed, these creatures are smarter than us. If there's one thing they know how to do, it's getting food.

So I was yelling, about to take a picture, and he slowly comes toward me, one step at a time. I was going to get a beautiful headshot when Matt came running. He scared the raccoon away. Something I could never dream of doing. I didn't get a picture today, but hopefully I'll have something to show you on the way back through.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Sorry we missed you in Vancouver, guys. We had a great time, and pitied you during the heat wave. Sea planes are fun, btw.

Beware the brave beasts. One never knows what may be causing the bravery, such as rabidity. We saw bald eagles soaring, but they kept their distance (unfortunately).