Monday, June 30, 2008

Ryan: The Smartest Friend

I've been declared the smartest friend. Andy was really cautious of me biking with my knee all out of wack. He said that if I get to Vancouver and I can bike with the group I'll be the smartest friend, but if I get there and I can't bike I'm the stupidest friend... Well needless to say, I'm biking. The knee's still not perfect, but its bike-able. I figured it would be worse to not bike at all and then jump in on a long day, so I've been working the strength up. Apparently it worked, or is working- therefore I am the smartest friend...

On the ride down from Vancouver I got my first flat with Audrey (my bike). Funny thing was, I changed it out with a tube Scott gave me a while back. That tube apparently also had a hole in it. Three tire changes later we were back on our way and my back wheel was slightly untrue (meaning it had a bend/wave in it)...

I decided I was going to try ad fix it myself. Everyone said it was a bad idea, but I wanted to try, so this morning I sat down before we rolled out to try and fix it. Right off the bat I made it better, but then I continued messing with it and before I knew it the tire looked like it was run over by a car and was spinning all crazy. I just started to laugh, it was no longer bike-able...

We were trying to figure out the options, I could take a bus to the closest city with a bike shop, or try and hitch-hike.... Finally I decided to give it another go, and at least make it ride-able. So I sat down and did it again. Now my wheel is as true as ever and I have redeemed myself as " THE SMARTEST FRIEND"

Ryan C . Kolegas

5 comments:

CAS said...

Glad to hear you've got some confidence back! Stay safe. No dying allowed. :)

Anonymous said...

BIKERS, you da men....I havn't taken the time to check up on you guys, but this afternoon was dedicated to reading about your trip...ps I loved it....and I wish you guys the best

~Ciriaco

Unknown said...

i feel your pain with the tire, maybe my bike accidentally passed some sort of curse on to Audrey.

or maybe we just both suck at fixing flats

BK said...

Hey Broda's, u be keepin up da good work for i n i, u know i b wishin i up dere wit ya, but ya kno how dem dings b rollin sometime, aint no worries, ya'll stay safe, b makin sure dat noneya get hurt o stopped b 4 dat trip alreday be startin ya here, keep it keepin'

Stacy said...

Adam/Ryan/everyone else, Corey and I just watched the trailer, it is awesome! When does the Stu vs. Bear fight air? Tell him to read Night of the Grizzlies...

I hope all is well with the food, fuel, tires, knees, etc.

Good luck, I will talk to you soon. I am off on my own adventure for the weekend.
Love, your sis
Stace