Friday, June 20, 2008

Scott: Funny Flaws on a Full Day

So I am the designated navigator for this trip, however I'm pretty much flying by the seat to my pants for this training ride up to Vancouver, B.C. I think it's hilarious (not everyone does) and I'm willing to get lost a little bit in order to obtain more out of life. (Like lessons on why you should prepare for long bike trips.) Today we were about 50 miles into our ride, and I decided to skip a few street names along the way to Yelm. When I was looking up the route on the computer I didn't think these streets were all that important. We would ask someone where they were when we got to the town. Boy was I wrong. Not only did we not ask anyone, but I forgot which street names I left out. We crossed a bridge we weren't supposed to cross, went to a gas station we never should have seen, and we nearly crashed on some gravel we should have never traversed. All this, and with fingernails that were cut too short.

I don't want any of you to be worried that we're going to get incredibly lost on this journey of ours. We won't, and the reason is we have two compasses. The other reason is that we have detailed adventure cycling maps. I know what we're doing when we leave Vancouver. It's getting there that's the problem. I'm looking forward to getting to Seattle tomorrow. Little do the riders know, my directions don't really bring us right there. We've got a few miles of spontaneity. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Way to keep it exciting - I trust you'll all still be friends at the end of this! You guys crack me up.